Joy is the purest, brightest form of happiness, a kind of happiness that exists deep within you. Here are 15+ quotes about joy and happiness to brighten your day.
Many of the quotes below are from Cold Tangerines, a beautiful book by Shauna Niequist (I mention her a lot on this blog haha) about celebrating the joy in everyday life.
15+ Quotes About Joy | Joy Quotes
1. “I want a life that sizzles and pops and makes me laugh out loud. And I don’t want to get to the end, or to tomorrow, even, and realize that my life is a collection of meetings and pop cans and errands and receipts and dirty dishes. I want to eat cold tangerines and sing out loud in the car with the windows open and wear pink shoes and stay up all night laughing and paint my walls the exact color of the sky right now. I want to sleep hard on clean white sheets and throw parties and eat ripe tomatoes and read books so good they make me jump up and down, and I want my everyday to make God belly laugh, glad that he gave life to someone who loves the gift.” – Shauna Niequist
2. “Joy does not simply happen to us. We have to choose joy and keep choosing it every day.” – Henri Nouwen
3. “If you carry joy in your heart, you can heal any moment.” – Carlos Santana
4. “Find a place inside where there’s joy, and the joy will burn out the pain.” – Joseph Campbell
More Joy Quotes | Quotes on Joy
5. “Life is a collection of a million, billion moments, tiny little moments and choices, like a handful of luminous, glowing pearl. It takes so much time, and so much work, and those beads and moments are so small, and so much less fabulous and dramatic than the movies.
But this is what I’m finding, in glimpses and flashes: this is it. This is it, in the best possible way. That thing I’m waiting for, that adventure, that movie-score-worthy experience unfolding gracefully. This is it. Normal, daily life ticking by on our streets and sidewalks, in our houses and apartments, in our beds and at our dinner tables, in our dreams and prayers and fights and secrets – this pedestrian life is the most precious thing any of use will ever experience.” – Shauna Niequist
6. “Find joy in everything you choose to do. Every job, relationship, home. It’s your responsibility to love it, or change it.” – Chuck Palahniuk
7. “Joy; the kind of happiness that doesn’t depend on what happens.” – David Steindl-Rast
8. “It is not joy that makes us grateful. It is gratitude that makes us joyful.” – Anonymous
9. “I believe that if we cultivate a true attention, a deep ability to see what has been there all along, we will find worlds within us and between us, dreams and stories and memories spilling over. The nuances and shades and secrets and intimations of love and friendship and marriage and parenting are action-packed and multicolored, if you know where to look.” – Shauna Niequist
10. “She found joy and wonder in every little thing. And joy and wonder always found her.” – Katrina Mayer
11. “We are shaped by out thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.” – Buddha
12. “A joyful life is made up of joyful moments gracefully strung together.” – Brene Brown
13. “Life sneaks up on us every once in a while and gives us something we didn’t ever know we wanted, and lights within us a love we didn’t even know existed.” – Shauna Niequist
14. “When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life.” – Jean Shinoda Bolen
15. “The joy we feel has little to do with the circumstances of our lives and everything to do with the focus of our lives.” – Russel M. Nelson
If you’d like more posts like this, check out our ebook Infinite Joy.