Finding your purpose can make a huge difference in your motivation and energy and overall happiness. It’s definitely worth taking the time to think about what it is you’re passionate about and what you want to do with your life. Here are 25+ quotes about purpose in life and finding yours.
25+ Quotes About Finding Your Purpose in Life | Life Purpose Quotes
1. “If you have a strong purpose in life, you don’t have to be pushed. Your passion will drive you there.” ― Roy T. Bennett
2. “The two most important days in life are the day you born and the day you find out why.” – Mark Twain
3. “The purpose of our lives is to be happy.” – Dalai Lama
4. “The aim of life is self-development, to realize one’s nature perfectly.” – Oscar Wilde
5. “Figure out what your purpose is in life, what you really and truly want to do with your time and your life; then be willing to sacrifice everything and then some to achieve it. If you are not willing to make the sacrifice, then keep searching.” – Quintina Ragnacci
👉 Products We Recommend:
- Weighted Blanket
- Happy Light
- Essential Oils
- Natural Calm
- Your Best Life Planner
- C B D Oil – use code RESILIENT for 10% off!
6. “Purpose is the quality we choose to shape our lives around.” – Richard J. Leider
7. “If you can’t figure out your purpose, figure out your passion. For your passion will lead you right into your purpose.” -Bishop T.D. Jakes
8. “Chase your passion, not your pension.” – Denis Waitley
9. “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” -Howard Thurman
10. ‘The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it.” – Steve Jobs
11. “Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.” – Rumi
Do You Know the Purpose of Your Life?
“The most important days of your life are the day you’re born, and the day you find out why.” – Mark Twain
I love this quote. As young adults it’s really common to not know what we’re doing with our lives or where we’re going with all of this, but I think it’s so important to figure out your passions and purpose. Not only does it give you a head start on following your dreams, having a purpose when you’re young (or at any age) can sometimes pull you out of depression and put you onto a better path for your life.
My depression that lasted for several years ended up giving great purpose to my life. After I got better (which was a long process of trial and error), I started a blog (this one ;)) to give advice to other people with depression about how to be happy and ended up helping literally thousands of people. I definitely never thought that would happen when I was in the middle of the depression, but since starting Resilient we’ve gotten hundreds of thousands of page views in that time, thousands of people on our email list, and countless emails from people telling me I changed their life. I thought it would mostly just be a cathartic blog to talk about my experiences, but it ended up being so much more.
At the time when I was depressed all I could see was the negative side of things and the emotional pain, but in retrospect now I can finally connect all the dots and see the big picture. Maybe it would’ve been nice to not be depressed in the first place, but if my life had to go this way then I’m glad there was a purpose to my pain.
And there’s a purpose to your life, too. Everything you’ve gone through, all the trials and tribulations you’ve endured in your life up to this point. Maybe it’s all building towards something that you can’t even see right now. Maybe even the failures and mistakes are putting you on the exact path that you need to be on to fulfill your ultimate purpose.
Oftentimes people create their purpose based on what other people expect them to do or want from them. There’s this “Life Script” for life in general that says that you’re supposed to go to school, get into a good college, graduate, get a safe and stable job (perhaps as a doctor or lawyer), get married, have 2.2 kids, and go live in the suburbs as a soccer mom or dad. It’s what people expect you to do.
But what if that’s not what you really want?
If you feel like you can’t find a purpose for your life, maybe it’s because you’re worrying too much about what other people want you to do.
What do you want to do?
Ultimately you’re the one who has to live with decisions you make, so finding your purpose is something only you can do.
Sometimes we feel like we’re trapped in someone else’s ideal life. And maybe on the outside everything looks nice and it seems like we should be happy because we supposedly have our lives together and checked everything off the list, but deep down none of it is what we really want. So we get depressed or are deeply unhappy with our lives, and we don’t know why.
But it’s never too late to make a change in your life and become who you’re meant to be. You can start following your dreams at any point.
If you’re unhappy because you’re trapped in someone else’s “ideal” life or maybe your life looks nothing like how you wanted it to look, then starting to do things the way you want to is what will make you happy again. You’re allowed to choose whatever you want. Other people have some influence over your decisions, but this is your life. And you’re the one who has to live it.
Make it a good one.
If you’d like more help figuring out your purpose, check out our Figure Out Your Life class.
12. “You have a gift inside of you that only you possess. It was meant to benefit the world in some way.” – Delatorro McNeal II
13. “Everything in your life informs you what your purpose is. How do you know it’s your purpose? It feels like it’s the right space for you. It feels like ‘This is what I should be doing; this is where I feel most myself.'” – Oprah Winfrey
14. “Deep within each person, there is an intuitive knowledge of what she or he wants most in life. We only have to look for it.” – Joseph Campbell
15. “A man should not ask what the meaning of his life is, but rather he must recognize that it is he who is asked.” – Victor Frankl
16. “When you find your WHY, you don’t hit snooze no more! You find a way to make it happen!” – Eric Thomas
17. “You can have anything you want – if you want it badly enough. You can be anything you want to be, do anything you set out to accomplish if you hold to that desire with singleness of purpose.” – William Adams
18. “What a different story men would have to tell if only they would adopt a DEFINITE PURPOSE, and stand by that purpose until it had time to become an all-consuming obsession!” – Napoleon Hill
19. “Giving so that others may be helped is a purpose of life that we should all embrace.” – Byron Pulsifer
20. “Once you determine that the important results you want are an expression of your life’s purpose, you cannot help but bring drive, dedication, and determination to each day’s efforts. You will be driven to act relentlessly to meet cherished goals, all the while feeling rewarded, satisfied, and even joyful in the process.” – Russell Grieger
21. “Knowing your purpose gives your life meaning, simplicity, focus and motivation. It also prepares you for eternity.” – Rick Warren
22. “By setting and pursuing goals, you have nothing to lose but a lot to gain. It has been scientifically proven that people who set goals are more fulfilled and positive about life. Having a purpose to wake up to each day will challenge us and give us meaning.” – Zoe McKey
23. “Your calling isn’t something that somebody can tell you about. It’s what you feel. It is the thing that gives you juice. The thing that you are supposed to do. And nobody can tell you what that is. You know it inside yourself.” – Oprah Winfrey
24. “For starters, making a positive contribution to someone else’s life says that you are worthwhile and have a purpose in life.” – Luke Gregory
25. “We are all born with a purpose. Some have the purpose to teach, some to create beautiful work of arts, some to create products, some to invent things, some to build huge edifices.” – Rafael Bettencourt
26. “Your purpose must be particular to you. This is the road less traveled. Your purpose cannot be someone else’s path, not your family’s path nor your friends’ path.” – Drew Scott Pearlman
27. “Perhaps the single most important ingredient in all of life for achieving happiness and fulfillment: Purpose.” – Harvey Volson
Articles to Read About Figuring Out Your Purpose
Can’t figure out the purpose of your life? Here are 5 articles to read about figuring out your purpose that might help you out. 🙂 Most of these are from Purpose Fairy, which is a great website to read about finding the purpose of your life.
- Are You Looking for New Life Purpose?
- How to Make Decisions Effortlessly
- How to Craft a Personal Mission Statement
- 7 Rules That Keep Life Simple
- 10 Ways to Make Better Days
What’s your favorite quote about finding your purpose in life?
For more tips on finding your purpose, check out our class Figure Out Your Life.
Quotes About Life Purpose | Finding Your Purpose Quotes
P.S. If you’re ready to improve your life and keep track of all your progress and goals, check out Your Best Life Planner. It’s a kit of 36 digital printables that help you plan your days with monthly, weekly, and daily planners, set goals, vision your future, create self care and gratitude lists, and so much more! Check it out here now and create your best life.