Motivation can be a tricky beast to master, but there are things you can do to make it easier. Here’s how to get motivated when you don’t want to do anything.
How to Get Motivated When You Don’t Want to Do Anything
I’ve found that are two main ways to get motivated to take action – in any area of your life – when you don’t feel like it:
Either start with the easiest task first, or the hardest.
It depends on the situation, but sometimes it helps to start with teeny tiny little baby steps and slowly build up momentum over time. Open a new tab with the website. Open your email account. Get out your journal. Put your running shoes beside the door. Get out of bed. Etc. You can actually make a lot of progress by taking small steps every day over a long period of time. And sometimes when you don’t want to do anything, it’s best to stick with small, non-intimidating actions so you don’t get overwhelmed.
More Motivation Posts:
- How to Become Self-Motivated
- 11 Songs to Motivate You to Take on the Day
- The Only 2 Secrets to Motivating Yourself You’ll Ever Need
- How to Take on the Day When You Don’t Feel Like Doing Anything
But on the other hand, sometimes starting with the most difficult, dreaded task is the best way to quickly get rid of the big bottleneck that’s preventing you from making progress.
Mark Twain said:
“Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.”
Of course, you don’t have to literally eat a live frog ;), but if you start with your worst task for the day, then you get it done with early and you feel great the rest of the day because regardless of what else you get accomplished, you’ve already been productive and tackled your worst task.
I find listening to a motivational music playlist is a good way to get the initial burst of motivation needed to take your first action – whether that’s on an easy first step or tackling your most difficult project first. Music can definitely change your mindset and outlook in the moment.
Would you rather start with the easiest tasks first or the most difficult? 🙂
20 Quick Ways to Get Motivated Again
Maybe you’re in need of some quick and dirty motivation so you can get back to getting stuff done and rocking on with your bad self. In just a few minutes, you can motivate yourself back into action with any of these fast techniques. Here are 20 quick ways to get motivated again.
1. Listen to an inspirational podcast (I like Kat Loterzo)
2. Watch an inspirational video (Like Mulan’s “I’ll Make a Man Out of You”)
3. Listen to upbeat music (top 40 works well! And Pitbull music)
4. Listen to our Encouragement playlist on Spotify
5. Go for a run
6. Go for a slow, meditative walk. Appreciate and admire the nature around you (or whatever your surroundings are).
7. Do 20 jumping jacks (get your blood pumping)
8. Drink a cold glass of water
9. Eat a cup of broccoli
10. Review or write down your reason “why” behind why you’re doing what you’re doing
11. Remember why you started in the first place
12. Take a 15 minute break
13. If you’re really burned out, take an entire day off (or longer) and do absolutely nothing productive
14. Do something nice for yourself
16. Brainstorm ideas (on any topic, or related to what you’re doing) for 15 minutes straight
17. Chew gum. It helps with concentration
18. Blast your music and have a mini dance party wherever you are
19. Block your Facebook newsfeed with the free Facebook Newsfeed Eradicator
20. Set a timer for 25 minutes and just WORK. This is from the Pomodoro technique
Boom, there you go! If you’re not motivated, go back and do more things on this list (just don’t let seeking motivation become a form of procrastination from actually getting work done). You can do this. 🙂