Self love is the idea of loving yourself the way you are now, regardless of your perceived flaws or shortcomings. It’s giving yourself grace and loving yourself because you are inherently worthy. Here are 50 beautiful quotes about self love, self esteem quotes, and quotes about loving yourself.
The first time I remember coming across the concept of self-love, I was reading a magazine called Wild Sister. The whole sparkling issue was dedicated to this foreign concept of actually loving yourself instead of the meanand negative words I usually told myself.
The tiny but vicious voice in my head would usually get mad at me for littlest of things and did not have the word “forgiveness” anywhere in its vocabulary. So the idea of self-love was completely mysterious. But as I pored through the issue, I realized that this was an idea that I actually could adopt.
Self Love Quotes | Quotes About Loving Yourself
It all starts with forgiveness. I’ve said and done many things I now regret, as have we all, but the idea is to forgive yourself for all of it, messy stuff and all. For me, that would even mean forgiving myself for even the worst of it. It wasn’t easy, but I started trying to be a little nicer to myself. You can literally start with the words, “I forgive myself,” and see how you feel.
👉 Products We Recommend:
If that helps you at all, start getting specific and applying it to different areas of your life. “I forgive myself for saying that.” “I forgive myself for thinking that.” “I forgive myself for doing that.” You are completely allowed to forgive yourself for every big or little thing in your life.
Why You Need Self-Love
It all comes back to self-love. If there’s one person you’re going to have to spend the rest of your life with, it’s yourself, so you might as well be kind to you. I love the idea of treating yourself like you would a best friend, because of course you would be kind and supportive to your best friend. Often we treat ourselves terribly when we would never do that to anyone else, but no matter who you are or what you’ve done, there’s no reason you can’t treat yourself with the same kindness and compassion that you would to the rest of the world.
These days, I am my own biggest cheerleader. Maybe it sounds a little weird at first, but it makes sense to love yourself before you love anyone else. In the end, everyone ends up happier for it.
Treat yourself like a best friend. Learn to love your flaws.
More Posts About Self Love:
- 8 Self Care Gift Ideas
- 20+ Ideas for Self Care and Self Love
- 25 Self Care Ideas for Bad Days
- How to Practice Self-Compassion
- 50 Beautiful Quotes About Self Love
Quotes About Self-Love | Quotes About Loving Yourself
1. “To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
2. “We are each gifted in a unique and important way. It is our privilege and our adventure to discover our own special light.” – Mary Dunbar
3. “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” – Buddha
4. “No matter what age you are, or what your circumstances might be, you are special, and you still have something unique to offer. Your life, because of who you are, has meaning.” – Barbara de Angelis
5. “When there is no enemy within, the enemies outside cannot hurt you.” – African Proverb
6. “The most powerful relationship you will ever have is the relationship with yourself.” – Steve Maraboli
7. “When people believe in themselves they have the first secret of success.” – Norman Vincent Peale
8. “Loving yourself…does not mean being self-absorbed or narcissistic, or disregarding others. Rather it means welcoming yourself as the most honored guest in your own heart, a guest worthy of respect, a lovable companion.” – Margo Anand
More Quotes About Loving Yourself | Love Yourself Quotes
9. “You’re always with yourself, so you might as well enjoy the company.” – Diane Von Furstenberg
10. “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” – Lucille Ball
11. “If you really put a small value upon yourself, rest assured that the world will not raise your price.” – Author Unknown
12. “I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live up to what light I have.” – Abraham Lincoln
13. “It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.” – Edmund Hillary
14. “Love is what we were born with. Fear is what we have learned here. The spiritual journey is the relinquishment – or unlearning – of fear and the acceptance of love back into our hearts. Love is…our ultimate reality and our purpose on earth. To be consciously aware of it, to experience love in ourselves and others, is the meaning of life.” – Marianne Williamson
15. “If I have lost confidence in myself, I have the universe against me.” – Ralph Emerson
16. “The way you treat yourself sets the standard for others.” – Sonya Friedman
17. “As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live.” – Johann von Goethe
18. “Believing in our hearts that who we are is enough is the key to a more satisfying and balanced life.” – Ellen Sue Stern
19. “How I relate to my inner self influences my relationships with all others. My satisfaction with myself and my satisfaction with other people are directly proportional.” – Sue Atchley Ebaugh
20. “Accept the place the divine providence has found for you.”
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
More Quotes About Learning to Love Yourself
21. “We have to learn to be our own best friends because we fall too easily into the trap of being our own worst enemies. – Roderick Thorp
22. “Contentment, and indeed usefulness, comes as the infallible result of great acceptances, great humilities-of not trying to conform to some dramatized version of ourselves.” – David Grayson
23. “Try to be like the turtle – at ease in your own shell.” – Bill Copeland
24. “What you think about yourself is much more important than what others think of you.” – Marcus Annaeus Seneca
25. “The greatest success is successful self-acceptance.” – Ben Sweet
26. “Be content to seem what you really are.” – Marcus Aurelius
27. “Every single one of us can do things that no one else can do-can love things that no one else can love. We are like violins. We can be used for doorstops, or we can make music.” – Barbara Sher
28. “To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance.” – Oscar Wilde
More Quotes on Self-Love | Quotes About Love Your Self
29. “About all you can do in life is be who you are.” – Rita Mae Brown
30. “Your task is not to seek for Love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” – Rumi
31. “We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.” – Maya Angelou
32. “Whatever you are doing, love yourself for doing it. Whatever you are feeling, love yourself for feeling it.” – Thaddeus Golas
33. “To love others, we must first learn to love ourselves.” – Anonymous
34. “If you must love your neighbor as yourself, it is at least as fair to love yourself as your neighbor.” – Nicholas de Chamfort
35. “The love you seek is seeking you at this moment.” – Deepak Chopra
36. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
37. “Plant your own garden and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.” – Veronica A. Shoffstall
38. “A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror.” – Ken Keyes
39. “You cannot be lonely if you like the person you’re alone with.” – Wayne Dyer
40. “Accept your humanness as well as your divinity, totally and without reserve.” – Emmanuel
41. “The way you treat yourself sets the standard for others.” – Sonya Friedman
42. “I am somebody. I am me. I like being me. And I need nobody to make me somebody.” – Louis L. Amour
43. “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
44. “If we really love ourselves, everything in our life works.” – Louise L. Hay
45. “I’ve finally stopped running away from myself. Who else is there better to be?” – Goldie Hawn
46. “Growth begins when we start to accept our own weakness.” – Jean Vanier
47. “You are unique, and if that is not fulfilled then something has been lost.” – Martha Graham
48. “Nature never repeats herself, and the possibilities of one human soul will never be found in another.” – Elizabeth Cady Stanton
49. “You have been criticizing yourself for years, and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens.” –Louise L. Hay
50. “The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate.” – Oprah Winfrey
Quotes About Self Love | Self Love Quotes | Self Esteem Quotes
P.S. You might also be interested in our Self Care Planner. 🙂 Get self care ideas, journaling prompts and questions, a printable daily self care planner page and more!