Sometimes when we have a bad day it would be nice if we could just pull out a box of all our favorite things that make us happy so we can smile again. 🙂 I got the idea to make a happy box one summer before I moved out to my own place years ago so I would be prepared for living on my own in case a bad day ever struck. Here’s how to make a happy box.
I can say thankfully there weren’t too many bad days that summer, but when there are it’s nice to have a happy box full of things that will make my day.
- 15 Gifts for Someone with Depression
- 14 Best Songs for People with Depression
- How to Make a Happy Box for Bad Days
- 11 Inspirational Quotes for People with Depression
- The Best Books for Overcoming Depression
To start, I used a large priority mail box from the post office. You can get these for free! Then I took some wrapping paper from my birthday and cut it to size to tape onto the flaps of the box. I love penguins so I thought this paper was super cute! And it’s like Christmas in July. I got this idea from my mom when she decorated a birthday package for me like this with birthday wrapping paper on the flaps when I was in college. 🙂
Here’s a closer look at what’s in the box:
Learn how to make a Happy Box so you have your own toolbox for happier days! #happinesstips #selfcare #happybox @resilientapp Click To Tweet
How to Make a Happy Box
Next, here’s a list of what I put in my happy box:
- Cold Tangerines and Bittersweet by Shauna Niequist. These are two of my favorite inspirational / spiritual books. Cold Tangerines is about celebrating the happiness of everyday life and Bittersweet is about the teary and hard moments of life, so it’s nice to have both on hand depending on my mood.
- Natural Calm magnesium drink– This is a magnesium supplement in the form of a powdered drink mix. It’s my secret anxiety-fighting hack! Magnesium is good for depression and anxiety. I like the raspberry lemonade flavor. 🙂 This stuff is great if you’re feeling really anxious and you need to calm down on the spot. It makes you sleepy and really calm and happy. Check with your doctor before you take any supplements, and be careful not to have too take too much magnesium as it can sometimes cause an upset tummy.
- Bubble wrap– sometimes when I’m anxious I like popping bubble wrap. It’s just a fidgety little thing you can do to distract yourself and keep your hands busy.
- Pretty scented lotion- Sometimes it helps to pamper yourself a little when you’re stressed out. This is one of my favorite fragrances- Princess by Vera Wang.
- Red lipstick– For some reason red lipstick never fails to make me feel confident, sassy, and ready to take on the world. Try it! It’s an instant mood boost. (Or a gender-neutral alternative.)
- M&M’s and sour gummi worms– This is not healthy, but sometimes a little chocolate is just what you need. At least that’s what Harry Potter taught me. 😉
- Relaxing essential oils– I recently started using some essential oil roller balls for sleep and stress and they can be very relaxing. Just apply a drop or two (or get it in a roller ball) to your wrists and temples and inhale. It’s instant aromatherapy! You might also like an essential oil-diffusing bracelet to wear all day!
So there you go! That’s what’s in my happy box. What would you put in yours?
Don’t feel like putting together your own happy box? You can also try a subscription box that’s made up for you already. There’s many different ones out there, from mindfulness and relaxing themes to happiness and therapy-related boxes.
Also check out the best gifts for someone with depression. 🙂
- How to Be Happy Consistently
- 5 Beliefs I Changed to Be Happy
- 10 Things Happy People Do Differently
- 7 Common Ways to Be Happy in Life
- How to Be Happy Anytime