Sometimes we buy things and fill our homes with junk because we think they’ll make us happy, when in reality, stuff does not make us happy. So we end up with houses full of clutter wondering where our space and money went. But there’s a better way to live. Here are 9 quotes about decluttering and minimalism from Francine Jay, an author and blogger.
This post was originally published on my blog Tuxedo Cats and Coffee.
9 Quotes About Decluttering and Minimalism from Francine Jay
Doing the opposite of mindless spending – active decluttering – can make you happier because you start to pare down the excess in your life and are left with the things that truly matter. The non-material things, like love and family and friends and following your dreams.
In Francine Jay’s The Joy of Less, she talks about how to live lightly and declutter your stuff and embrace a minimalist lifestyle. This book is a great introduction to the minimalist lifestyle and a way to declutter your life.
1. “If these things haven’t delivered on their promises yet, it may be time to let them go.”
2. “In order to be a good gatekeeper, you have to think of your house as sacred space, not storage space.”
3. “Remember, space is of equal value to things (or greater, depending on your perspective).”
4. “In pursuing a minimalist lifestyle, we need to resist the temptation to recreate the outside world within our abodes.”
5. “Cultivating an attitude of gratitude is far more conducive to a minimalist lifestyle. If we recognize the abundance in our lives, and appreciate what we have, we will not want for more. We simply need to focus on what we have, rather than what we don’t have.”
6. “Go through your house, and make a list of everything you own. I know some of you are looking at this page incredulously; but no, I’m not kidding. Make a list of every book, every plate, every fork, every shirt, every shoe, every sheet, every pen, every knickknack – in short, every single object – that resides inside your home. Too difficult? Try just one room? Still can’t do it? How about just one drawer. It’s pretty overwhelming, isn’t it? Do you still feel like you don’t have enough?”
7. “Decluttering is infinitely easier when you think of it as deciding what to keep, rather than deciding what to throw away.”
8. “I live lightly and gracefully, with only the objects I find functional or beautiful.”
9. “A place for everything, and everything in its place.”
All quotes are from The Joy of Less by Francine Jay.
If you would like more tips about decluttering and organizing, check out Organize Your Home.