You may be spending a lot of time looking for new and exciting ways to boost your happiness factor. The truth is, the most talked-about ways to put a smile on your face are common because they work. Don’t overlook the obvious. Use these 7 common ways to be happy in life.
7 Common Ways to Be Happy in Life That Really Work
1. Friends — Spend time with people who make you feel the most uplifted and try to spend some time with them each week. It does not have to include long, complicated visits. Go for a coffee, take a walk together, or work on a hobby you both enjoy.
Happy is contagious, so surround yourself with positive-minded individuals (hint: it helps if you have a positive attitude, too!).
2. Sleep — It is important to get your rest. It makes perfect sense that if you are tired and out of sorts you will not be joyous about anything. You have to decide if that binge session of late-night Netflix is worth your mental health.
3. Exercise — The science on this has been around for a long time. However, it does not mean you need to spend a fortune on gym memberships and expensive equipment or clothing.
Choose physical activities that make you feel good. Go for a walk in the park, play with your dog at the beach, or dance to your favorite tunes while you dust.
4. Diet — By now, most people know that a balanced diet is essential to all aspects of well-being. However, you should also be careful about how you “treat” or “reward” yourself. Is it a consolation if the bag of cookies makes you feel awful?
- 5 Beliefs I Changed to Be Happy
- 4 Beliefs Holding You Back from Being Happy
- Want to Be Happy? Don’t Do These 3 Things
5. Pretend — Your intention has an effect on reality. Decide when you get up in the morning that you are going to be happy today. Say it firmly to yourself, even out loud.
Then watch how the events of your day unfold. If something negative happens, acknowledge that it has, deal with it if that is an option, and return your attention to feeling happy.
6. Nature — Spending time in nature has a tendency to make people more aware of the present moment. When this happens, you are not as likely to drift into fretting about the past or worrying about the future.
It does not need to be a solitary deep woods excursion. A walk in the park or along the beach will do just fine.
7. Meditation — Practicing some form of mindfulness is known to increase feelings of peace. Find a teacher or practice that suits your personality and situation.
If you include yoga sessions, you will also cover the exercise factor. Who doesn’t feel happy when they are relaxed and peaceful?
Instead of looking for happiness in material possessions or elsewhere, try these seven practical ways to be happy in life and put the pep back in your step.
Do you want to be happier? If you don’t know where to begin, this can be an overwhelming thought. People have different ideas about how happiness is gained. Here are 4 ways happiness can be yours.
- How to Be Happy Consistently
- 5 Beliefs I Changed to Be Happy
- 10 Things Happy People Do Differently
- 7 Common Ways to Be Happy in Life
- How to Be Happy Anytime
4 Ways Happiness Can Be Yours
1. Don’t attach happiness to material items
The act of shopping may be exciting, but once you’re home with your new purchases, that feeling fizzles out pretty quickly. It isn’t long before you forget about those purchases you made because they end up in closets and drawers and you rarely see or enjoy them. The only way to get that feeling again is to shop more. This is a vicious cycle. If you think that buying a home, a fancy car, or large television set will solve your problems and make you happy, you’re throwing your money away. Happiness that comes from material items is fleeting.
2. Start exercising
Physical activity promotes happiness by releasing feel-good hormones. If you live a sedentary lifestyle, you will feel bored and tired. If you want to be happier, get moving. You don’t have to join a gym to be active. You can begin by going for a walk in the morning or evening. If you’ve ever been a runner, you probably know the feeling of a runner’s high. You can get that feeling again by getting active.
3. Be grateful
Do you find yourself complaining about the things you don’t have? Do you worry that everyone has a better life than you? This will not make you a happy person. Being grateful for what you do have in life is the key to being happy. You can be grateful for what you have while still working toward what you really want. Spend a little time every day thinking about and writing what you are grateful for. This may seem difficult at first, but consider all the things you have that others don’t, such as shelter, food, or clothing. It’s easy to take things for granted when you have constant access to them.
4. Don’t expect others to make you happy
No one else can make you happy. Having a boyfriend or girlfriend will not make you happy. Getting married will not make you happy. You can’t even rely on friends or family to make you happy. That is not the job of anyone in your life. People in your life only add to your happiness, they don’t create it for you. You create your own happiness. When you are happy, you are happy whether you are on your own or spending time with others.
If you’ve tried to create happiness through material items or relationship statuses, but find you’re still not satisfied, it might be time to start looking within yourself and your habits.
P.S. If you’re ready to improve your life and keep track of all your progress and goals, check out Your Best Life Planner. It’s a kit of 36 digital printables that help you plan your days with monthly, weekly, and daily planners, set goals, track habits, vision your future, create self care and gratitude lists, and so much more! Check it out here now and create your best life.