Making vegetarian gravy can be difficult to cook up something that is tasty and still tastes similar to its meaty counterpart, but this vegetarian gravy recipe will show you how to make a very tasty animal-friendly gravy with (optional) tofu instead of chicken and served over rice or with your favorite Tofurkey for Thanksgiving or other holidays. Here is the best vegetarian gravy recipe for picky eaters.
The Best Vegetarian Gravy Recipe for Picky Eaters!
- Cook time: 20 min
- Ready in: 20 min
- Yields: 1-2 servings
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp flour
- A few dashes salt or sea salt to taste
- Dash black pepper
- Dash ground sage
- Dash poultry seasoning (which does not actually contain poultry)
- Dash garlic powder
- About 1 cup vegetable broth
- About half a block of chopped firm tofu… you can also omit this or cut it into tiny pieces. I used big pieces almost like I was making vegetarian “chicken” and rice. If you stir the tofu, some little pieces will come off and it looks like chicken giblets. 😀
- (Optional) Cooked rice, pasta, or Tofurkey to serve your gravy over
- Start by making a roux of butter and flour cooked together.
- Gradually add vegetable broth to the roux, stirring constantly until your “gravy” starts to thicken a little.
- Add spices, salt, pepper, and any other desired seasonings.
- Continue stirring and adding vegetable broth until you reach the desired gravy thickness. You may have to cook it for several minutes for it to thicken up.
- Stir in chopped tofu at the end. The tofu will absorb some of the flavor of the gravy.
- Serve over your desired main course. Done!
Melt Butter in a Pan
Add Flour to the Butter
Mix Butter and Flour to Make a Roux
Add Vegetable Broth
Mix Together Until it Starts to Thicken
Add Spices to Taste
Drain Tofu, Press Water Out with Paper Towels, and Cut Up into Cubes
Add Tofu to Gravy and Stir Together