Anxiety is tough, but luckily there are a few tips for anxiety that can help make it a little easier. I’ve found that anxiety is usually actually trying to tell you something, so it can be helpful to let yourself feel your feelings first to figure out what’s really going on.
Anxiety and depression are kind of like the pain you feel if you put your hand on a hot stove, but emotional pain instead. They can actually be very helpful indicators that something isn’t quite working in your life, or that you’ve pushed yourself too far outside your comfort zone (try taking slower baby steps), or are possibly doing something you really don’t want to or shouldn’t be doing.
What is your anxiety trying to tell you? It’s there to serve a purpose.
First, sit with the discomfort without trying to push your feelings away. Honestly, if you can master this one tip of just sitting with your anxiety, as hard as it is at first, the feelings usually start to subside on their own after a few minutes. I recommend the other tips for after you’ve already let yourself feel your feelings. As they said in The Fault in Our Stars, “Pain demands to be felt.”
Get these tips as a downloadable PDF:
20 Tips for Anxiety to Lower Your Stress
1. Breathe into your feelings
2. Light a relaxing candle
3. Do a candle-gazing meditation
4. Sit in stillness for 20 minutes
5. Watch the night sky in silence
6. Follow a guided meditation
7. Go for a slow walk around the neighborhood
8. Try a magnesium supplement like Natural Calm (talk to a doctor first)
9. Do some gentle stretches
10. Do yoga
11. Pet a kitty or other animal
12. Stroke a soft blanket for a substitute cat 🙂
13. Take a bubble bath
14. Free write your feelings in a journal or Word Doc
15. Write down your feelings on a piece of paper and shred or burn it
16. Paint with soothing colors
17. Color in an adult coloring book
18. Make a Calm Down Jar
19. Take three deep breaths
20. Say positive affirmations
What tips for anxiety are you going to try? 🙂
If you’d like more tips for anxiety, check out our class Slow it Down.